Planters Against A Home Can Cause Damage And Mold

Home » Yard, drive, walks, patios » Planters » Planters Against A Home Can Cause Damage And Mold

Planters against the side of a home can lead to moisture intrusion into a wall and even mold and mildew in a few  circumstances. Buyers and homeowners should check to see if a planter is against the homes siding and if it’s higher than the floor level of the home.

Planter against a homes wall or siding

Damage to the homes wall?

Planters often have dirt that is against the siding of a house. If there is not a proper barrier between the siding and the soil in a planter, moisture may seep into the wall of the home. In some areas builders waterproof the wall or siding to prevent moisture from entering the wall. Unfortunately, the waterproofing cracks or deteriorates over time and moisture enters the wall and can cause damage to the wood. Occasionally mold or mildew may develop.

Maintaining the back side of the planter so that moisture will not enter the homes wall should be part of your home maintenance plan.

Planter against a homes wall

 

Ideally…

Having a back wall on the planter with a two-inch air gap between the planter and the homes wall will greatly reduce or stop any moisture intrusion.

Buyers who are concerned about moisture intrusion will often remove or modify the planter. Removing the planter and re-landscaping the area can solve the problem as well as enhance the appearance of the house.

Mold in a house

A mold and mildew check

Should you have a planter where the soil level is above the interior floor level of the home and the planter construction is such that excessive moisture may penetrate through the homes wall (i.e no 2-inch clearance between planter and house wall), then you should do a mold and mildew check of the house wall; both the inside drywall and the exterior wall. Check for evidence of:

  • Stains and dark discolorations
  • Musty or mildew type odors

If moisture has intruded into the homes wall cavity, insulation may have gotten wet, there is a possibility of wood deterioration and mold and mildew may have developed.  (Read more about mold)