Standard wall switch
Light switch making a sound:
- Switch is worn out; replacement is wise.
- Switch is damaged; replacement is wise.
- Arcing may taking place. Sometimes if a wire is not tightened down sufficiently on the terminals in the switch, it will arc and you will hear a sound. Tightening the wire may solve this.
- Low-quality switches; try upgrading to higher quality switches.
- Occasionally from an overloaded circuit (especially if the switch feels warm to hot)
If from arcing, be careful, for at times this can lead to a fire. Therefore, replacing the switch and reviewing the circuit is wise.
Who to consult? An electrician or qualified handyman.
Replacing a defective or damaged switch normally can easily be done by an electrician or qualified handyman. If there is further work required, then an electrician would be best suited for this type of work.